April 29, 2014

DIY Save The Dates




Practically as soon as we were engaged, my fiancé and I had set our wedding date.

Because our wedding date was in over a year,  I thought it would be a good idea to send out Save The Date cards to our guests.

Mostly it was so that they could book flights as early as possible and save money, but it is also a good way to gauge who could come to the wedding.

I figure if someone knew they couldn't make it they would get the card and see the date and realise they wouldn't be able to come.




So shortly after the engagement, I looked into getting some Save The Date cards made.


I looked into a few different options and decided to go with Snapfish.
I designed the card in about two minutes (it was super simple) with a template that was cheap and looked good (and the fiancé also liked).
It cost more to get the card on a piece of cardboard as opposed to the regular photo paper it would normally come on.




To save money I took the photo paper option and L and I went out and bought a whole bunch of white textured card.






We cut the card into the right size to fit the photos snuggly inside. It took awhile. L got frustrated with my cutting because I'm an artist so I just guesstimate where I should cut.
L is a builder so he needs to measure everything out perfectly.
The card cutting took several hours.

Once that was done we took the photos  and stuck them with glue stick to the white card.


L then weighed them down with lots of books so they wouldn't come apart.





When they were weighed down for a day or so I had the brilliant idea to handwrite our engagement party invites on the back of some of the cards.
Two birds one stone and all that.


Handwriting almost 40 cards was tough. I regret doing it now.

And after all the tireless work and the frustration and hand-cramping,  I have officially been put off DIY-ing the wedding invites.



Speaking of wedding invites, I've only managed to get 2 out of 16 of the samples that L and I ordered.
Here are the ones I have gotten:



So yes.  That's where I'm at currently.
Still trying to look at wedding invites and have also started looking into reception decorating.


Still have ages to go so I'm not worried. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment