November 24, 2014

Dear Wedding Etiquette- I Disagree!






Greetings my lovely readers,

Thank you for joining me in this exciting installment.
I'm not feeling too great (please see this blog to find out why --> http://girlthateatschips.blogspot.co.nz/2014/10/being-woman-hurts-period.html ).

For this reason I will hopefully not make this very long.

I've been meaning to write this particular post for a while now but I just never seem to get round to it.
Well I'm forcing myself to write about it now.

I literally just got back about five hours ago from a wedding weekend away in Tauranga, so I have weddings on the brain.
Figured now was probably just a good a time as any to write an open letter to the person who makes the rules about wedding etiquette.

Some wedding etiquette makes a lot of sense, some of it is D-U-M-B with a capital D!

You are, of course, allowed to disagree with me.
But this is MY OPINION, so NO, I am not WRONG.
Please don't be offended, I am writing this to entertain more than anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Dear Wedding Etiquette,


Some of your rules are silly, and, dare I say it, stupid.



1.
You tell me that I simply must allow all my family members to bring a date.


No.


I shall not.


If I have never met the person and I do not know them from a bar of soap, and they are not married to this particular family member, then no. They do not need to come to my wedding.

I'm sure they don't mind.


If they knew that their attendance meant that a very dear friend of mine would miss out, then if they are decent human beings, they would give up their spot.
I know I would!

I'm sorry random girlfriend of my cousin, but you are not invited.

This rule is stupid.







2.
Wedding etiquette states that you should NEVER hand write on your wedding invitations.

COULD YOU EVEN IMAGINE?!

HANDWRITTEN WORDS ON YOUR INVITATIONS?!!!?!?


WHAT. A. DISTASTER!!!!!


Tacky. Pure tack.




I'm sorry to inform you, but I did it.


I did it just because you told me I couldn't.

Haha. No, that's not actually the reason.



Instead of working out how to use mail merge and getting each guest's name printed precisely on the invite and forking out even MORE money than the small fortune I already paid, I HAND WROTE NAMES.


I know. I'm a bad girl.

A rebel, even.


I'm not even sorry.


You can suck it, wedding etiquette! I saved time, money and stress!!!!!!







3.
Don't include gift information on your invitation.


Um, hello?!?!!? Greedy, much??


If you do this, your guests will think you want them to BUY YOU A PRESENT.


Its not as if you are paying thousands of dollars to throw a massive party and inviting them as special guests who will get a free show (I find getting married is a bit like a show), dinner, presents and who knows what else?!

You cannot expect them to get you a gift, especially not since they are your friends and would probably throw money at you if you didn't give them gift information.


Etiquette clearly states that gift information should be passed on to guests through word of mouth.


Don't mind the fact that no one would ever be able to remember the weird gift registry website name you chose, and that your mother will list a bunch of things you didn't actually want to her friends and you'll end up with five soup-makers.

I chose to put gift information in the invitations pack, on a separate card of course.


I even stated that people didn't have to give us anything.

Because they don't.







4.
Don't ever ever ever ever ever have a cash bar.


It is rude.



Sorry, but I'm totally having a cash bar.


As someone who doesn't like alcohol or what it does to people, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to freely supply alcohol at my wedding.


L and I thought that instead of having a completely dry wedding, we'd allow our guests to purchase alcohol for themselves.

That way if they REALLY wanted it that badly they could supply it to themselves, within reason I hope.




You can suck it, wedding etiquette.


I am not paying for people to get wasted.



When I drank alcohol, I got wasted at weddings. It's too easy.



I would not care for it happening at my own wedding.

Hopefully our friends and families respect L and I enough as extremely light/non-drinkers to keep themselves in check.







5.
Send out invitations a few months before the wedding.


It's not as if people have to book flights and get time off well in advance or anything.




I DISAGREE I DISAGREE I DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!


This is probably the dumbest rule I have come across.



I think the sooner you get those invites out the better.


I had a friend who didn't get me her invite til about a month before her wedding and I couldn't go because it was too late to get flights and time of work.
I was extremely upset.


If she had sent her invites out 6-8 months before the wedding, this would not have happened.



L and I gave out our invitations 7 months before our wedding date, and I think it was genius.


It's still over 3 months away and I have almost all my RSVP's and am going to start sorting out table seatings, food, favours, table decorations and arrangements etc well before we even reach the wedding month.

Most people do all these things less than a month to go.



STUFF YOU, WEDDING ETIQUETTE! You are so stupid sometimes.








6.
The wedding week crunch.




Okay, this isn't so much of an etiquette thing, but it is something I am trying to AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!


If all goes as planned, my wedding will be ALMOST totally organised well before the day.


I am not leaving ANYTHING til the last minute.



Why would you put yourself through that if you have ample time to do it in advance?



I do not cope well with stress so I want my weeks leading up to the wedding to be smooth sailing, with nothing really left to do.


I will, of course, document my journey on this blog, so let's see how I go!

-------------




Our wedding isn't far away now, we are almost headed into the double digits!
So exciting!


Stay tuned for more silly wedding stuff from me.

I will give you a proper update of what I have left to do in the next month or so.



x



DAYS TIL THE WEDDING: 103



No comments:

Post a Comment